Friday, March 8, 2013

What it Means to Live Life from the Inside Out:

"It's the action, not the fruit of the action, that's important. You have to do the right thing. It may not be in your power, may not be in your time, that there'll be any fruit. But that doesn't mean you stop doing the right thing. You may never know what results come from your action. But if you do nothing, there will be no result.” ~Mahatma Gandhi
I spotted this quote on a friend's facebook page this morning and thought, "that's it!"  Well, that's a lot of it.  Taking action from your values because you must is certainly a lot of what makes people who live life from the inside out, stand out. I'm asking myself, "how do these people get to that point in their lives?  What brought me to the day I said I  must  live life according to my values completely?

Some things, of course, I owe to my upbringing and the times I was raised.  Being a teen in the 1960s was an awesome "ride," as we would say then.   I recall staying home sick and coincidentally being there to see the moment John F Kennedy was shot.  It was etched on my mind forever.  There was Martin Luther King, Jr, and Bobbie Kennedy, The Riots, and The dawning Age of Love of the 70s.  All of this brought with it a feeling of both excitement and responsibility, at least for me.

Some must be personality make-up as well.  I recall during sit-ins and action-alliances having humorous talks with my compatriots where we wondered about the people who were simply watching football games or having the backyard barbecue, and whether we would ever simply be those people (and yes! I have done those things too, and enjoyed them!).

And some is that elusive, hard-to-define but ever pressing spiritual journey that many of us find ourselves on.  Something speaks to us, gnaws at us, letting us know there is something more, some calling we have not quite answered yet!  So we push forth, striving to define, stretching to listen, until we feel satisfied that what we are doing has met what something (God?) has called us to do.  It is the most gratifying feeling in the world.  

So it is not the result we are seeking.  It is the sense we have answered the call.  It is a sense of being in relationship...of speaking directly with the God of our understanding, through our actions. Is this what you are seeking?  Stay tuned for more in this regard...

 

No comments:

Post a Comment